The Hollow Earth theory is a pseudoscientific belief and stating that the Earth is hollow. Theories include that the inhabitants of the “Inner Earth” walk around the inside feet-up, or that a smaller sphere is inside the larger (sometimes it is stated this object works like a sun for the inner earth denizens), which is more in line with the theory of gravity, though not geology.
The conspiracy aspect supposedly relates to a large hole providing access to the underworld, which is located somewhere in the arctic or Antarctic regions, and the attempts to keep it quiet made by the superpowers in conjunction with whatever the Grand Theory du jour is, be it reptilians, tibetan masters, Atlanteans and/or aliens. That there are undisclosed entrances to these “inner worlds” extends also to the moon, with one video purporting that you can see it on Google Earth, though it should be noted that this is very clearly just a graphics glitch caused by stitching multiple low-resolution and high-contrast images together in combination with the usual seam errors produced at the poles when using spherical UV mapping. These theories are also associated with apocryphal stories of apparently bottomless holes in various locations, such as Mel’s Hole in Washington State, USA.
It’s not clear what supports the surface of the Earth according to the Hollow Earth Theory, since the surface of the earth we can see would most likely collapse under the force of gravity without a substrate (liquid and, in the case of the mantle and outer core, solid in the instance of the inner core). Nor is it clear what keep the denizens from floating away from the inner surface.
There’s also the problem that the “shell” would need to be really dense, in order to produce a gravitational field this strong.
Finally, there’s the question of exactly why this would be kept secret – as with several other conspiracy theories, there seems to be no motive behind this one aside from “Let’s make the unwashed masses look really stupid!”
Some fanatical Christians are going to portray that the Holy Bible does, in fact, present a “Flat Earth” theory. I thought we were done with these theories with Galileo Galilei, Christopher Columbus and The National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA). Obviously, I was gravely mistaken.
In his Second Epistle the Peter the Apostle warned the early church, “Therefore, beloved, since you are waiting for these, be diligent to be found by him without spot or blemish, and at peace. And count the patience of our Lord as salvation, just as our beloved brother Paul also wrote to you according to the wisdom given him, as he does in all his letters when he speaks in them of these matters. There are some things in them that are hard to understand, which the ignorant and unstable twist to their own destruction, as they do the other Scriptures. You therefore, beloved, knowing this beforehand, take care that you are not carried away with the error of lawless people and lose your own stability. But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To him be the glory both now and to the day of eternity. Amen.
(2 Peter 3:14-18 ESV)
Many “Hollow Earth” theorists use and distort the following verses as “proof” for their theory:
- But you are brought down to Sheol, to the far reaches of the pit.
(Isaiah 14:15 ESV)
- Was it not you who dried up the sea, the waters of the great deep, who made the depths of the sea a way for the redeemed to pass over?
(Isaiah 51:10 ESV)
- Whatever the LORD pleases, he does, in heaven and on earth, in the seas and all deeps. (Psalms 135:6 ESV)
- For just as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of the great fish, so will the Son of Man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.
(Matthew 12:40 ESV)
- (In saying, “He ascended,” what does it mean but that he had also descended into the lower regions, the earth?
(Ephesians 4:9 ESV)
- “‘Who will descend into the abyss?’” (that is, to bring Christ up from the dead).
Romans 10:7 ESV)
- For if God did not spare angels when they sinned, but cast them into hell and committed them to chains of gloomy darkness to be kept until the judgment; if he did not spare the ancient world, but preserved Noah, a herald of righteousness, with seven others, when he brought a flood upon the world of the ungodly; if by turning the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah to ashes he condemned them to extinction, making them an example of what is going to happen to the ungodly; and if he rescued righteous Lot, greatly distressed by the sensual conduct of the wicked (for as that righteous man lived among them day after day, he was tormenting his righteous soul over their lawless deeds that he saw and heard); then the Lord knows how to rescue the godly from trials, and to keep the unrighteous under punishment until the day of judgment, and especially those who indulge in the lust of defiling passion and despise authority. Bold and willful, they do not tremble as they blaspheme the glorious ones, whereas angels, though greater in might and power, do not pronounce a blasphemous judgment against them before the Lord.
(2 Peter 2:4-11 ESV)
- And I heard every creature in heaven and on earth and under the earth and in the sea, and all that is in them, saying, “To him who sits on the throne and to the Lamb be blessing and honor and glory and might forever and ever!”
(Revelation 5:13 ESV)
- And the fifth angel blew his trumpet, and I saw a star fallen from heaven to earth, and he was given the key to the shaft of the bottomless pit.
(Revelation 9:1 ESV)
The above Scriptures are all taken out of context to support a fictitious theory that is totally base on pseudoscience. Don’t forget we haven’t been to the moon, the planets are demons, and the stars are angels. I think I need another Prozac.
I can only assume that Hell, Hades, Sheol, The Bottomless Pit, Tartarus and the Lake of Fire are located on out corrupt Earth. However, I cannot back this up with Scripture or Doctrine and therefore it is nothing more than a theory.